Thursday 24 October 2013

Am I in Australia?

Well, everything I thought I ever knew has been turned on its head. Having always been under the impression that in this half of the world the weather actually turns colder as we head towards December, can you imagine my surprise when day by day I am actually taking OFF layers instead of adding to them?! When I arrived four weeks ago I was greeted with cold, frosty mornings, lashings of rain, and a dollop of wind in my face to boot. I was braving the outside world with armour consisting of a cosy scarf, a jacket, and some lovely warm Handschuhe (hand shoes - I 'll leave you to work out what they might be). The days were grey, my radiators were on, and I constantly had my umbrella up. Looking out the window (wide open, no less) now on this lovely Thursday afternoon, I would be forgiven for thinking I was in the South of France in the middle of August (ok, so it's not that warm , but not far off!). Well at least its nice enough that I can can do lots of activities, and doing lots of activities I have been...

On Saturday night I was invited out by one of my housemates to join her and her friends. Having previously experienced the classic 'step-from-one-foot-to-the-other-like-an-awkward-dad-at-a-wedding' style of dancing that all clubbing Germans seem to adopt, I was not anticipating to become particularly warm. So, adorned in jeans, Ugg boots, and a polo-necked long-sleeved top, I set off with the others in the car to a pub in one of the nearby villages. Well, little did I know that it was a Sorbian folk night, and when the Sorbians say dance, they mean it with a capital D. Before long, with Vodka and Coke coursing through my veins (I still can't bring myself to drink beer, even if I am in Germany) I was merrily jumping up and down, spinning, and jigging like an Irish Leprechaun with the others. And what a Sweaty Betty I was. Nevertheless, it was a great night and I did have fun- I do like to dance.

The days afterwards have been a little more restrained and, I like to think, a bit more cultured. I've been throwing myself into being a proper tourist; I went on a guided tour of Bautzen, climbed the Reichenturm, a 56m high medieval tower that has tilted 1.4m from the centre, (highly recommended - there are a lot of steps to conquer, but the view from the top is worth the pain and anguish!), and went to an exhibition at the Rathaus (town hall) about Germans who fought against Fascism during Hitler's rule. The exhibition was interesting, but I must admit I was expecting a little more than an empty room containing nothing but informational display stands, which can look a bit daunting when you see how much there is  to read without it being broken up by anything else. However, it did make me feel humble, and very very lucky.

At some point I am definitely going to go to a puppet show at the Bautzen Puppentheater (Puppet Theatre), but tomorrow's outing: The Bautzen Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment