Tuesday 15 October 2013

Living Rooms and Melting Pork

Having now spent a month here in Germany, time is passing by a lot more quickly.

Friday afternoon I was a lady who lunched. And lunched in the most fantastic Sorbian restaurant. With Bautzen being a highly Sorbian area, it was only a matter of time before I visited 'Sorbisches Restaurant Wjelbik' in Kornstrasse (please, if you ever find yourself in Bautzen, do not pass this place by!), and it was possibly the nicest food I have ever had the pleasure to eat (and I have eaten a lot of nice food in my time). Part of its charm is the picturesque medieval brick walls and ceiling, and another is definitely the traditional Sorbian dress worn by the staff. Then the icing on the cake (for me) was the perfect portion sizes and melt-in-the-mouth pork covered with a delicious crispy coating. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it.

After this I spent the weekend in Dresden (again), but this time looked around the Altstadt, the main tourist area, which is absolutely beautiful, but beware: also very expensive. I saw the very impressive Frauenkirche, which was in the middle of a gorgeous town square, and right next to the 'Fuerstenzug', the largest porcelain artwork in the world. Amidst all this sightseeing, my friend and I decided that this might be a lovely place to stop for a drink. So we sat down at a lovely-looking restaurant, but almost ran away with fright when we saw that the price of a 500ml bottle of water was 5, 30 euros (about £4.50). It was decided then and there that our thirst would be better quenched in the far more affordable Neustadt area. Here we found ourselves in the most adorable little cafe called 'Wohnzimmer', which lived up to its name as it looked, quite literally, like a living room. The cosy, homely place was decked out with mismatching sofas, armchairs, and coffee tables. And their hot chocolate was to die for!

The only downside to my trip was my bad experience with mitfahrdgelegenheit.de (which, up until now, I have always found a very reliable, and cheap, way of travelling around) on the way home. The site works by typing in which town you wish to travel from and to, and then a list of people making that journey in their cars is provided. Booking with one of these people means that they will take you to (insert desired town here) for a minimal fee. Everyone I have travelled with so far has been the epitome of friendliness and reliability, except the last guy I booked with. After hanging up on me on the phone twice, and then not replying to my email, he also thought it might be fun to just not turn up at the arranged place without letting me know. So, after half an hour of waiting at Neustadt train station I finally had to accept my fate and buy a train ticket, which was three times the price of what I was expecting to pay with Mitfahrgelegenheit. Ah such is life. At least I managed to get home.

My bad luck did not turn around yesterday either. Got to school and was working away in my first lesson, and got so carried away I forgot to leave when I should and go to my next one. The result was that I arrived at my second lesson as all the students were filing out of the room. Apologising to the teacher (who was thankfully very understanding and lovely about it, but I nevertheless felt terrible) then made me late to my third lesson. So all-in-all I was quite glad to get back home. Today, however, was a lot more successful, and I managed not to be an idiot. So hopefully my moment of madness will be soon forgotten by all.

On a completely different note, I watched this inspiring 11 minute speech by Tim Minchin yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoEezZD71sc. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment