Friday 6 December 2013

A Fruity Delight

Well, today it is finally snowing and at last Bautzen looks like a Winter Wonderland. As I write this I can see the branches of the trees outside my window covered in a soft dusting. It hasn't been like this all week, however. Saturday was miserably grey and rainy. Still though, I managed to go on a 5-hour walk in the Saechsische-Schwiez (Saxony's answer to the Lake District), and although I was wet through, the views were astounding. Wherever I looked I was greeted with greenery, waterfalls, and tall granite rocks telling the history of time, and was lucky enough to be accompanied by someone who knows the area like the back of her hand and so was recounting the story of the place as we meandered through it. It is a tiring, hilly walk, but is definitely worth the effort, although I would imagine that to see it on a bright day would be to see it in its best light.

The rest of the weekend was spent at Dresden's Christmas markets - they have three. Of course, the obligatory Gluehwein (mulled wine) was purchased at each and every one, and I even managed to see a children's show featuring none other than Santa himself. And after we'd squeezed the most we could possibly get out of the markets, it was time for cocktails (what else?!), and Sunday night I was introduced to Pinta's cocktail bar and was more than pleasantly surprised. They weren't your average cocktails - they were practically sorbets, and came in every fruity flavour you could imagine. Deee-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment